Thursday 10 September 2015

Why I Still Read YA Part 2

In part 1 of "Why I Still Read YA," I wrote that I like to feel nostalgic for those fun teenager emotions. Unfortunately, my second reason isn't quite as happy.

I still read YA because there are certain issues that I know I will have to talk about with my future children and I don't quite know how. Issues that are tough and hard and sad that everyone wishes they could sweep under the rug and not have to acknowledge. The problem is that then you have giant piles under the rug that you trip over.

photo credit: tessa fredrickson
In Th1rteen R3asons Why, Clay Jenson receives a box of tapes and starts listening. To his horror, he hears the voice of a girl from school who recently committed suicide.
I hope you're ready because I'm about to tell you the story of my life. More specifically why my life ended and if you're listening to these tapes, you're one of the reasons why.
Clay continues to listen to Hannah's story and the 13 reasons why she died. Included with the tapes was a map that takes the listener to various locations throughout the town. As he listens and follows the map, he runs into others who have received the tapes and it is interesting to see their reactions to the tapes and Hannah's suicide. Some are sad and burdened knowing the played a part, while others have just shrugged it off as a sad girl just looking for people to blame.

It was sad to hear her story and see how a bunch of little things led to much bigger things. It was devastating to hear about her cries for help that went unanswered.

I read Th1rteen R3asons Why in a day and a half. I couldn't stop reading it. I was so sucked into the story to understand what could drive Hannah to suicide. All through the book I kept hoping that Clay would figure out something that he could do to fix everything and bring Hannah back for a second chance. I had to remind myself that it was fiction, Hannah and Clay and all of this struggle wasn't real. But in a very real sense, there is a Hannah somewhere who feels at the end. There is a Clay somewhere suffering, knowing that he will forever be without Hannah.

This is why I still read YA; it can connect me to these difficult feelings without having to experience them in real life. There are books that I think we should cycle out of high school required reading, like 1984 and Fahrenheit 451 and replace them with books like Th1rteen R3asons Why and Speak (this actually was required reading for the freshmen english class when I was a senior). I love this connection to literature and it can help us bridge the gaps between the incomprehensible in life.

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading "If I Fall I Die" by Michael Christie. I think it qualifies as a YA novel, but maybe not. Interesting read of a boy whose mother has agoraphobia and has kept him in the house all his life. He turns 11 and finally ventures out into the world. When he speaks of Outside it is always capitalized, as is Inside. "There are those that go Outside, and those that stay Inside." It started out really great...love the way the author's descriptive phrases. It went in a different direction than i expected, but I really enjoyed it, and the insight it gave into the mother's journey into becoming agoraphobic, and the conflict that arose between the two of them when Will chose to leave the protective haven his mother had created for him and become part of the Outside world. Definitely worth putting on your "to read" list. I'm going to try Th1rteen R3asons Why, although it sounds like a really painful read. --Lauri (couldn't figure out how to have my google profile show my name...)

    ReplyDelete