Thursday 24 September 2015

Shutter Island: the thriller you should be reading instead of The Girl on The Train

I'm not really big on the thriller genre and tend to avoid it. I don't do well being scared. With The Girl on the Train being one of the most sold books this year, I decided to give it a try. I was a little disappointed, but it piqued my interest in the thriller drama. I reached out to a friend and asked her to recommend a psychological thriller and she suggested Shutter Island. It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I was in I couldn't put it down.


The book is about Teddy Daniels, a US Marshal who is sent to Shutter Island to find a woman that escaped from the Ashecliffe Hospital for the criminally insane. As the story progresses, Teddy admits to his partner Chuck that he has been waiting for this assignment for a while with a dual mission. First, to find evidence of illegal experiments being conducted on the prisoners/patients. Second, to find the man responsible for his wife's death and kill him. Soon it becomes difficult to know who to trust and if it is safe for Teddy and Chuck to be on the island. A storm soon knocks out the power to the island and all methods of communication and it looks as though Teddy will have to choose between avenging his wife or finding the evidence needed to shut down the Ashecliffe Hospital.

I was so nervous for Teddy and trying to identify who the real bad guys are. I like to think I've got a special talent for figuring out who is a villain and what will happen with the story. With this book, I couldn't stop guessing and every chapter brought and new twist that had me so anxious to see how things would play out. With 2 chapters left I had to set down my kindle and just breathe and say (scream) "WHAT JUST HAPPENED!?"

So if you're like me and you felt a void left by The Girl on the Train, pick up Shutter Island. I PROMISE you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment