Thursday 3 September 2015

Capital Crescent Trail

Distance of trail (from Silver Spring to Georgetown): 11 miles
Level of difficulty: Easy



The Georgetown Branch Trail and Capital Crescent Trail are populated with cyclists, runners, dog-walkers, rollerbladers, etc. Since moving here I've used the trail for both running and cycling and it's been enjoyable, mainly because of its accessibility.  If you're anywhere in Silver Spring or Bethesda, you're not too far from an entrance to the trail.



These trails do not require amazing cycling skills or strength - cross my heart. The first three miles (from the Silver Spring entrance not far from where Grubb Rd and East West Highway meet) consist of the Georgetown Branch Trail and it's covered with crushed stone/gravel - I thought this would be problematic with my road bike, but I didn't have any issues.  There were only a few bumpy spots, but it was relatively smooth riding most of the way.  After that portion, the road turns into the Capital Crescent Trail where the road is paved all the way to Georgetown. It's truly a pleasant ride if you're looking for a good weekend activity. Although the trail is full of people, it's a nice ride.  The road is shaded by beautiful trees for at least 70% of the trip which is nice if you're trying to avoid sunburns (like me).  Pack a picnic lunch in a backpack and enjoy the ride!

{Look! I made it to Georgetown! Don't worry though, I wore a helmet during the ride.}

No comments:

Post a Comment