Tuesday 29 September 2015

Monti-sello or Monti-chello?

This past weekend my in-laws came out from Idaho to enjoy some time in central-ish Virginia. We started our weekend in Charlottesville where Boise State killed University of Virginia and spent the next day celebrating at Monticello with all the other Boise State fans.

Monticello is Thomas Jefferson's estate that he built on top of a mountain and it was pretty amazing.


Thomas Jefferson was 6'2. I'm 5'3. I have a feeling this statue isn't to scale. I learned that Thomas Jefferson was not a fan of capital letters and preferred to only write in lowercase. Great minds think alike.


Before we started our tour, I mentioned to my brother that I was at Monticello that day. He told me that when I got to the yellow room to take pictures for him. All through the house the rooms were a tan-ish-yellow color and I wasn't sure if I had missed what he was talking about. Then we walked into this room and I knew I hadn't. According to our tour guide, this yellow paint cost 30 times more than any other color on the market at the time. Even though interior photos were forbidden, I took some of the yellow room anyway. Who could say no to their brother?


The tour was cool, but a bummer we didn't get to see the upstairs or go into the dome.


I look like a huge nerd in this picture, but I love it at the same time. This is the front of his house and when you walk in there are animal skins and antlers all over the place from Lewis & Clark. I think this would probably be my husband's dream house due to that and the fact that is was on top of a mountain. At one point this property sold for $2700. Yep, that is right, I didn't leave out any zeros. TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED DOLLARS. If only...


A fish pond for fish he was going to eat later? Such a boss.


There was this little stand-alone room deal and I would love to have one and just sit in it and watch the sunrise/sunset.


He had a giant garden and vineyard, but we liked this trellis the best. It had these flower bean plants growing on it that were pretty cool.


George Washington's grave is cooler. If you don't believe me, Coryn is going to Mount Vernon in October and she can post some photographic proof.



I just kind of love hanging off fences and taking pictures flashing peace signs. I can't resist.

1 comment:

  1. I fell in love with the tea room. I found a picture online when we got back to the hotel and pinned it on my decorating inspiration board. I'm definitely a lovely morning room like that some day. Was so fun to share this day with you and Benj.

    ReplyDelete